top of page

Christmas Dangers

From your pet's perspective, Christmas is a time of the year when lots of unusual and exciting things are brought into your home, making it a very tempting time for them to get up to all sorts of mischief. Interesting foods, unusual plants and trees, attractive decorations and Christmas presents will all be of great interest to your dog and cat, but some of these things may be harmful if eaten.



At Christmas keep an extra close eye on your dog. Make sure they don’t sneak any of the foods they shouldn’t be eating and remember to keep all dangerous food out of paws reach.

For many, Christmas is a time for sharing delicious festive foods with friends and family. Although your dog may enjoy sharing certain human foods with you it can make your dog very ill and could even be fatal. 

Chocolate, onions, nuts, blue cheese, fruit cakes, puddings and mince pies can all be toxic to dogs. Turkey, chicken and Ham bones can cause choking, constipation, blockages or damage your pets intestines.


Chocolate, along with coffee and caffeine affect the nervous system, cardiac and skeletal muscle. Dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate but all are best avoided. 

Nuts such as Macadamias, old and mouldy walnuts, raw cashews, pistachios can cause dogs to vomit, choke, develop gastric irritation and increase the risk of pancreatitis as some nuts can have a high fat content.

Alcohol, Completely toxic to animals. Not advised in any circumstance. Alcohol can also be found in foods such as, Christmas puddings and mince pies as well as brandy butter and cream.

Sweets, Xylitol, an artificial sweetener found in sugar free chewing gum, mints and sweets. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, or even death in dogs. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs.

Mince Pies and Christmas cake, contain currents, raisins, sultanas and even grapes causing vomiting, diarrhoea, acute kidney failure. 

Bones, as with most meat, leftover bones can be hazardous for your pet. Small meat or fish bones can splinter easily and cause serious injury to your pets mouth as well as choking.


Christmas Trees, if digested pine needles can cause vomiting and diarrhoea or in worst case scenarios can perforate the stomach. Cats love Christmas Trees and are at high risk of toppling as well as ingesting pine needles which can cause blockages.

Christmas ornamentsSome decorations can shatter or splinter when they break. Others have electrical cables and batteries. Please make sure that these are securely stored away from pets  as can cause internal damage from perforation of the stomach, chemical burns or even death.

Plants, Pretty plants such as Holly, Poinsettia, Lillies and Mistletoe are extremely toxic to pets. Keep well out of reach!

Christmas wrap, Keep an eye on strings and wrapping accessories at Christmas. Cats love to play with ribbons but ingesting it can cause blockages.

Their normal diet, Christmas is known to be a time of rich and extravagant food. To avoid stomach upsets it best to keep your pet on their usual food. 

Walks, Walks are a great way of spending time with your pets and family as well as burning off some of those delicious Christmas meals. Your dog will love this time spent together. A real treat!

Turkey/Chicken and Vegetables, in small amounts are allowed. Please make sure that if you do give your pet either vegetables or meats that they are given so without seasoning or butter and that all meats are skinless and without any bones.

Toys/Pet gifts, are a fantastic treat for your pet and give lots of future entertainment. Toys can be purchased from any pet supplies shop. Please refrain from giving toys that are suitable for children/adults as they will not be safe enough when pulled around. Keep decorations and wrapping ribbon away from cats as this can cause a choking hazard.

Treats, given in small quantities and occasionally are fine for your dog/cat. Small quantities are better as extreme changes in diet can cause stomach upsets.

Candy Cane


bottom of page